WSPID Research Workshop
Conducting and Presenting your Pediatric Infectious Diseases Research
A full-day Research Workshop is being offered on 5 November 2019.
The application for the Research Workshop is linked to the abstract submission system, which will open on January 15, 2019.
The World Society for Pediatric Infectious Diseases (WSPID) will be hosting a Research Workshop on 5 November 2019 from 08:00-16:00, prior to the start of the main WSPID Congress. The workshop will be conducted in English.
The workshop will consist of two components:
1. Short practical lectures by leading researchers on aspects of research, with a focus on pediatric infectious diseases.
2. Oral presentations by 5 selected Research Workshop Presenters. Five early career researchers will be chosen among the applicants for mentoring and discussion at the WSPID Research Workshop.
- To assist early career researchers with the design, conduct, and presentation of pediatric infectious disease research in resource-challenged and resource-advantaged settings.
- To facilitate interaction between early career and established researchers in an informal, collegial setting.
- Fifty participants will be selected among the applicants to attend the Research Workshop. These selected participants will have their 2019 WSPID Congress registration fee waived.
- Five applicants will be invited to participate in the workshop as oral Research Workshop Presenters:
- These five presenters will be assigned one or more mentors from the WSPID Education Committee/WSPID Research Workshop Faculty, who will assist with developing their presentation prior to the Workshop.
- Each of these selected Research Workshop Presenters will deliver a 10-minute oral presentation of their WSPID 2019 submitted abstract to the audience of the Research Workshop participants and faculty.
- Research Workshop participants and the faculty will offer constructive comments and suggestions following each presentation.
- In addition, to subsidizing the 2019 WSPID Congress registration fee, these five presenters will receive reimbursement up to $1,350 (USD) for applicants traveling to Manila and up to $500 (USD) for applicants located in Manila to subsidize travel and accommodations associated with the 2019 WSPID Congress; the total support for WSPID 2019 attendance and participation will be determined by the Congress organizers.
- Subsidized Research Workshop participants/presenters who do not attend or who do not fulfill requirements of preparation and presentation will be asked to reimburse the WSPID subsidies in full.
HOW TO APPLY
- Complete the Application Form and return it to the WSPID Congress Secretariat at email@example.com. Please make sure to print it as a PDF file before sending it.
- Submit your Abstract via the Congress website and indicate that you want to be considered for the WSPID Research Workshop
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
All applicants are encouraged to apply for a WSPID Fellowship.
WSPID Research Workshop Schedule (subject to change)
08:00 Introduction, Overview and Goals
08:15 Introduction from the Local Organizing Committee
08:30 From Clinical Question to Research Answer
09:00 Oral abstract presentation and discussion 1
09:30 Microbiology Research
10:00 Coffee Break
10:15 Oral abstract presentation and discussion 2
10:45 Publishing your Research
11:15 Oral abstract presentation and discussion 3
11:45 Ethics in Research
12:15 Break – small group informal discussions with Research Workshop Faculty
13:15 Finding Funding and Key Parts of a Research Budget
13:45 Oral abstract presentation and discussion 4
14:15 Writing a Successful Grant Application
14:45 Oral abstract presentation and discussion 5
15:15 Coffee Break
15:30 Group Discussion, Summary and Evaluation